Sunday, August 23, 2009

Trust In God


News flash

A Hebrew has been made overseer to all of Egypt, and "only with respect to the throne will the Pharaoh be greater . . .  “

Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, "Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you. You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you." (Genesis 41:39-40)
We all know the story of Joseph and how the jealousy of his brothers led to his enslavement, imprisonment and ultimately the saving of many lives from a famine that struck Egypt and the neighboring land of his own family.

Now I don’t know about you, but to me this is definitely one of the many great accounts of the bible that acquaints us with God’s incredible favor for man. Despite Joseph’s many circumstances, his steadfast trust paved the way for God’s plan. Joseph was quoted as being “discerning and wise” as a result, even in his sufferings; those who lorded over him could clearly perceive that the spirit of God was upon him. Here’s an interesting note for you bloggers, the Bible doesn’t record any bitterness from Joseph during these trying times, only that everything he did prospered. So much were the blessings that ultimately, even the Pharaoh gave him charge over his entire palace and kingdom, and the rest is history.

In this day and age many things have changed in comparison to Joseph's time, but one thing for sure is that conflict and suffering are still around even for the Christian believer. What I wish to especially focus on within this blog is that in every situation, whether as a slave for Potipher or as an inmate in prison, God's grace allowed Joseph to rise above his despair. By keeping his faith and working diligently, God was able to promote him as a keeper of the House. Thus, it is written that whatever his hands touched “the Lord gave him success. . . ” Consequently, he wasn't just entrusted with the management of a household, but also of finances, and a country. The bible indicates that even those who lorded over him shared in the prosperity that Joseph's hands produced. What's the point? Simply this, Joseph was successful because his trust allowed God to work things out for him.

As I further reflect upon Joseph’s sufferings and blessings, I realize that my success, whether in my own home, at my work place or house of worship, can be measured by my level of trust in God. In other words, my trust equals God’s presence and favor, and God’s presence and favor equals prosperity not only for me, but also to those for whom I toil. Can you imagine the exponential growth of prosperity when we are all on the same page?

So how’s your trust factor? Do you think God can assign you to house keeping – I believe he can? All we have to do is "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV)


Anthony Adorno

No comments: